Amateur Inter-Club Championships
The goal of the Championships is to re-build old networks between the Arlberg Kandahar (AK) Clubs, as well as to set up relationships with Clubs that were not involved in the past. In the early days of ski racing there was considerable informal contact between the AK Clubs and members often visited each other’s Clubs to broaden their experience and make new friends. Senior racing for amateur skiers is now restricted to relatively few events, but we believe that there is a healthy level of interest in further developing senior amateur racing.
The Championships are hosted in turn by participating clubs, we have now set up an international committee to organize the events in the future. It is intended that the Championships will continue to be team events and will be restricted to amateur ski racers.
Teams from each club will ski against each other in 2 races: a giant slalom and a super G. In addition, the host club is encouraged to run a wide parallel slalom. The parallel slalom, will be run for fun and will not carry points for the Championship (teams for this event can be drawn from each club and they should be mixed).
The giant slalom and the super G will constitute the Championship and will have equal points and will be run in accordance with the following rules:
- Entry into the Championship will be restricted to amateur ski racers. For the purposes of the Championship 'amateur ski racer' means anyone who has NOT competed before the start of the Championship:
- in an Alpine event at the FIS World Championships, or in any FIS Alpine World Cup event for 15 years; or
- in any FIS Alpine Europa Cup event for 10 years; or
- in any FIS Alpine Continental Cup event other than a Europa Cup event for 5 years.
- There will be 3 age categories (age as by year of birth) for men and women, 18-44 , 45-59, over 60. (For 2017, 18-44 (1999- 1973), 45-59 (1972-1958), over 60 (1957 and before).
- Each team will consist of 3 or 4 male or 3 or 4 female skiers of the same age category. There shall be no substitutions or additions to team members after the first team member has started the first race.
- It will be possible for a racer to race in a younger age category or for a lady to race in a men's category, but there is no mixed team category within the Championship.
- Clubs may enter up to 8 teams; ideally each Club should enter six teams to adequately represent each age category and gender and not more than 2 teams in any category.
- The time of each team shall be the sum of the times of the 3 fastest skiers in each race, i.e. one racer's time in each race can be dropped and it need not be the same skier for both races. For details of the caculation, see below.
- Race courses to be set by a qualified course setter, but not the race piste does not have to be FIS homologated.
- The start order will be by category: ladies before men and older age categories before younger ones. Within each age/gender category, members of each team will be interleaved so the first member of team 1 will be followed by the first member of team 2 etc. for all team in the category, then the second team member for each team will start and so on.
- For each of the Super G and GS races, a penalty of 10 seconds will apply for each gate missed, up to a maximum of 3 gates missed. If a racer misses 4 or more gates, he or she will be disqualified from that race.
- It is compulsory to wear a suitable ski racing helmet.
- The Captain of each team is responsible for his/her team.
- Names and numbers of any racers who missed gates, together with the gate number/colour will be displayed on the results board 10 minutes after the last racer has finished. Race times will be published as soon as is practical.
- Protests must be lodged by the Team Captain with the Chief of Race within 20 minutes of completion of each event. The Chief of Race will convene an appropriate Jury to hear and determine the protest. The Jury's decision is final.
- Prizes will be awarded for the fastest teams in each category (age and gender). If there are sufficient entries, second and third prizes will be also be awarded in each category. "Sufficient entries" is defined as being at least one more than the number of prizes. Additional prizes may be awarded at the discretion of the host club.
- The Organising Committee shall not be held responsible for injury to person or damages to equipment, arising from the competition or during practice. Every competitor shall be responsible for his accident and third party liability insurance.
Calculation of Results
(Assuming 2 GS runs and one super-G run.)
For GS: The times of the 3 fastest skiers in first run and the times of the 3 fastest skiers in the second run are added together and then divided by 2 to get the average. For each category, 100 points are awarded to the winning team and each team thereafter is awarded 100 multiplied by the percentage difference. For example, if team 1 is the winner with a time of 60 seconds, they get 100 points and If team 2 have a time of 66 seconds (ie 10% more) they get a score of 110.
For Super G: The times ofr the 3 fastest 3 skiers for each team are added together to give the team time. Again, 100 points are awarded to the winner everyone else is scored the same way as in the GS.
The points for the 2 events are added together to get a total team score (it would be possible just to add the times of the 2 events together, but be rebasing to 100 each time it makes sure that both events are of equal importance).
Message from MPI Brokers - Sponsors of AICC
Our Ski Policies provide Ski racing cover as standard, as long as it is of an amateur nature or has an entry age of under 16. We have won the World Snow Awards ‘Specialist Insurance provider’ two years in a row and are nominated again for this year.
Examples of cover below:
- On and off piste
- Amateur ski racing
- Piste rescue - incl. helicopter
- 24hr Emergency Medical Assistance
- Snow parks
At this time our policies are only open to UK and Irish residents, apologies, we are actively seeking cover for other European residents and will send an update if this changes.
To obtain an online discounted quote, please click here.